Derisk (UK) Ltd have a longstanding relationship with APA, who act as Contract Administrator for various clients, and have been the Principal Designer (PD) on many schemes varying from residential refurbishments, to office refurbishments all over the South East of England.
On this occasion, we were successful in tendering to undertake the role of Principle Designer with regards to the external repair and redecoration works Greenwich Millennium Village, London.
The scope of works for this scheme comprised of external repair and redecoration works of 6 separate blocks, containing 150 flats. The works were split between two contractors and included the full repair and redecoration of the building fabric including timber repairs to the windows repair, redecoration the timber weatherboarding and cleaning of the render facade.
For this scheme, our role as Principal Designer consisted of the following:
• Planning, managing and monitoring the pre-construction phase.
• Ensuring that where reasonably practicable, risks were eliminated or controlled through design work. We monitored and organised design risk workshops at agreed project work stages.
• Produced a coordinated design risk register showing identified risks.
• Carried out design reviews throughout the Construction Phase and focused workshops on selected packages to ensure that design risk management continued throughout the construction phase.
• Ensured cooperation and coordination through a pre-planned design phase including all design disciplines.
• Ensured designers comply with Contractor duties and ensuring that design risk workshops address all design disciplines, ensuring that each party are fully identifying and eliminating the risks arising from their design.
• Assisted the Client in preparing the Pre-Construction Information Pack; and preparing the Health and Safety File.